Jodi Picoult

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thing 18 YouTube and others

It is fascinating to find a video about any possible topic (and some impossible ones) and watch it instantly via YouTube or Google Video. I found that on my iGoogle home page, it shows the most recent YouTube videos. After looking at Google Video, I found that they were all labeled YouTube. I disliked the small pictures (yeah, I know I can make them bigger) and I did not like the hesitation between some of the scenes. I thought the library ads were hilarious, especially Conan the Librarian -- I feel like that some days. Sometimes the videos were hazy and that is what happened with the Librarians on Parade, so I did not recognize the person from MN--although, it might have been the one sticking out her tongue at the camera. I chose the Jodi Picoult Video because she is one of my favorite authors and she was visiting a favorite city of mine. I actually got a hug from Jodi Picoult when she did a book signing at Borders in Minneapolis. (Because I came the farthest distance to see her). I do think these short video clips could be useful in a library setting -- in fact, I have used some for Internet Safety training. I have not put them on our website as of yet. I think they could become a distraction for students, and that is why we do not allow YouTube in our school--I found a lot of inappropriate videos that I'm sure students (and maybe staff) would find very fascinating. I am glad for the opportunity to have used this option, and I did sign up for a YouTube account.

No comments: