Jodi Picoult

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Thing 10 Wikis

Well, I certainly find Wiki's interesting. Many of them that I viewed made sure that the viewer's messages pertained to the site, and were not personal or abusive. Some of them required an email address in order to edit any of the pages. I did get into the 23things ona stick Wiki and added a title to the front page, and then deleted it when I found the section for the comments. It seems like such a simple concept and seemed easy to access the editing pages. As for Wikipedia, we do not ban it from our library, but do remind students that a lot of the information on the site can be added by any internet user and therefore the information, although interesting, may not be completely accurate and therefore not suitable for research documentation. I am not sure I am ready to start up my own wiki yet, but I do like the idea of the "subject" topics, book lists, book reviews, and the other library sites. We are presently working on celebrating MN 150th birthday in our school, and I viewed the MN wiki and might possibly add to that site myself, or encourage some of my patrons to visit that site and add to it. I am glad for the opportunity to learn more about wikis. I was clueless, now am a little informed.

No comments: